Friday, December 24, 2010

What Christmas Eve looks like where I live….

 

When I was a kid I was totally amazed with all the scenes on  DSC02627Christmas Cards with snow and deer and moonlit fields of beautiful crystal clear ice and snow.  It just didn't happen where I lived.  And it made no sense to me as a child, looking upon those cards and seeing SNOW! 

I still have a hard time seeing snow on the ground in my adult mind's eye.

 

So here is what Christmas Eve looks like in Southern Louisiana!

DSC02621 DSC02618 DSC02619 DSC02620

The berries on the nandina are bright red to attract the birds.  And the berries on the privet hedges are dark like juniper berries.  The leaves have turned beautiful colors this year because we had a deep freeze early in November.  That was very unusual (global warming people are nuts if they think we are getting warmer)  but we do get some beautiful colors from the early freezes. 

 

Pansies and lettuce share side by side planters.  My red leaf lettuce is getting bigger.  We might have a few leaves in our Christmas dinner salad.

DSC02622 DSC02623   

 

 

 

 

The periwinkles are still blooming from the summer plants.  I just have a hard time pulling up perfectly good plants.  So they are mixed with the pansies!

DSC02625

DSC02624

Chloe the Smelly Basset’s pine cone stash is growing.  She carries them home on her nightly walks.

 

 

 

DSC02626The Azaleas are blooming.

 

Merry Christmas and I hope your snow is not too deep for you to go over the hills and through the woods to Grandma’s house!

 

glen

1 comment:

  1. Merry Christmas to you and yours Glen, Grandma wallked to our house today! Much easier!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from friends! Thanks for leaving a message!