Friday, July 1, 2011

Baby quilt done

I have sewn most of today.  I guess that makes up for what I didn't do last week.  Not quite!

I did complete two blocks from the Virtual Scrap Bee to send when she is ready.   They are the color of the floor!

Then yesterday's mail brought me an invitation to a friend's first grandchild shower.  So without having a lot of time or space to work in, I went to the local quilt shop, bought a layer cake of bright Moda Hoopla, and sewed up a cutesy little baby works quilt.  It is the first time I have worked with a bought layer cake.  I could have made it larger but in the interest of time and quilting, I thought to do it small enough to handle on the domestic.  And the batting layer is that flannel I scored for $1 a yard a couple weeks ago. 

This is definitely not heirloom but is one the baby can play on.  In fact it even says PLAY!  Thanks to Tonya Ricucci's Word Play!  Easy as pie and took me all afternoon to get to the binding stage.  I just did straightline but close quilting one direction.   This one will be 50 x 50 a good size for a toddler girly to play with.  The back is M'liss Rae Hawley's birds in bright orange and yellow (I got it for $2 a yard when I got the flannel!) (See, Frank.  I knew this stuff would come in handy one day! So there!)

 I like the look. Plain, bright, simple, fun, usable, easy, and ready to go.

Now off to dinner with friends!
glen

2 comments:

I love to hear from friends! Thanks for leaving a message!