Friday, November 21, 2014

Off the Wall Friday

I know there are a lot of posts today.  I have been busy!  And I need to post this today so I can link up to Nina Marie's Off the Wall.  She will be so shocked her socks will fly off into the sky!

Now that I can see again after I had the scar tissue zapped in that left eye, I can see to read books.  So I picked up some of my quilt books I bought through the years.  I like to look at the pictures!  (Come on, I know you do too!)

So I decided to read Elizabeth Barton's Inspired to Design.  I tried taking a Quilt University class with her about 2 years ago, but you really needed to be a trained artist to keep up.  I am not.  I can't draw shading in to save my life.  So I got lost in the details trying to understand it all.  I figured in this book I could take my time, re-read it a dozen times and ask questions of people who knew what they were doing.

One of the exercises Elizabeth suggested was to take a photograph and break it down into a simpler composition.  I took that a step further.

I chose one of the Yosemite photos from our trip in 2010.  The beautiful country gave me a basis for a design that would never have entered my mind.  It flowed in proportion to the spaces around it in an amazing way.  I could never have just put lines on a page and had it look like this.

I want to spend some time in my photo stacks and see what else I can come up with.  I may even try to create a few masterpieces even!


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a simple technique. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from friends! Thanks for leaving a message!