Friday, January 30, 2015

Art Abandonment

Don't knnow if you know this about me, but  I have been abandoning art for a while now.  Basically, you make something and put a tag on it that tells the observer that this is a gift, to take it, and enjoy it.

The note requests the finder to send an email to say they found it and where.  Sometimes people take the pieces and give them to someone else.  I have had several people reply over the last few years.

It all goes to an anonymous email that is monitoed by the Art Abandonment crew.  And they repost it to a facebook page for the rest of everyone to enjoy.

Mostly what I do is small pieces from leftover scraps, a tote bag, a tea bag holder or a snglasses case.

Wednesday night I abandoned a sunglasses case at Santa Fe restaurant and Thursday monring again at McDonalds. 

I enjoy it.  And you can read things from people and tell they have been very touched.  they will say things like, I was having a bad day, and I found this.  Or one that really touched us, My best friend died today and I was having a hard time dealing with it.  I found your art piece and relized that gifts come in the most unexpected packages.  I will always remember my friend when I see this.

Go to the facebook page and go to the files section to find the verbiage for the note to leave with something.  Some people set up a gmail account and diirect replies to that.  It makes you feel wonderful as you place your treasured art piece in a special place then walk away smiling.


I always feel like a conspirator!  Try it!

http://michaeldemeng.typepad.com/art_abandonment/    (this one explains it)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ArtAbandonment      (this is the facebook site)

3 comments:

  1. Very cool! I have heard about this before, but not the part about emailing when you find something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely idea! This is something I may need to start doing. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really cool! Thanks for telling us about it and your experience.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from friends! Thanks for leaving a message!