Saturday, March 31, 2018

The Weight of Water

Here you go Carol
Some days are harder to get through than others.  And I know I don't have the issues like some of my dear friends do.  But sometimes molehills can seem like mountains.

We met my brother for lunch at Middendorf's.  Carrie and the baby drove with us and Uncle Kenny and Michelle got to spend time with Sawyer.  He was so good, eating everything in sight including french fries and fried catfish!  Good Cajun boy, that one.

Kenny and Michelle will spend the Easter weekend on their sailboat with their daughter Mary and her beau Mark.  Get this, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, hey.  Mary runs a dog rescue in New Orleans!  Right!

Since Crawfish is pretty traditional for Easter here in Louisiana, I decided I would make my dad's Crawfish Etouffee for Sunday at Carrie's.  Then I realized my recipe book with all his recipes, and the all ones my mother wrote had been in the drop shelf up under the cabinet and was never taken out when they tore the kitchen cabinets out after the flood.  Gone!

I lost it.  Just plain lost it all over again.

Still.  It hits me like that still.  After nearly two years.  Just one thing can knock you into an abyss.

And there you are.
 
I know others who feel this way.  And we know you really have to have been a flood survivor to truly understand it all.  Or some disaster I would imagine.  To get to the other side takes a part of you that people who didn't make  that journey can't really fully know.  It's not that they don't care, it's just that they don't know that piece of you that is missing inside.

And.......there you are. 

Since I don't celebrate these things, I will leave you with some really nice pictures of the things that surround the season.

And hope your holiday is beautiful.

The lilies are so pretty







My friend across the street who had the thistle I loved last year

showed me another she found in her yard.  She said she saved it from the lawn mower for me since I had loved the other one so much.  


 Carrie had some artichokes growing again.  This is the one from last year.
  They are pretty cool.  She didn't eat them, just looked at them.  I would have eaten them. 










And just in case you think I might be some kind of heathen or something, I actually know the Easter Bunny.

And her name is Martha.







11 comments:

  1. Circle of love never ending. I dont know your pain about the flood but I do undrstand the feeling of lost. Circling you tightly with love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not mine to judge if you are a heathen, but your strength through the recovery from the flood still leaves me in awe. Sorry that there will be so many more instances where the loss will tear at your heart, but you should feel the loss and then heal. Know that I saw so many friends prop you up when things were hardest and know that you don't walk alone now either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hugs and more hugs. Have you seen the book "Cooking Up a Storm" ?? It is from 2015, a compilation of recipes from the Times Picayune. The author compiled it because so many displaced Katrina survivors wrote the paper trying to find the old recipes they had lost during the floods. I don't presume to even hint that it will replace family recipes, but it was, I thought , a lovely book. And a lovely idea. Oh I would like some of that crawfish étouffée......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neat tattoo. I'm trying to make that squiggle say something in shorthand but my skills are gone. Is it a shorthand form?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Flood story, always reminds me of ours. Hard time. I too know the Easter Bunny. Granddaughter Brianne, she got to wear the suit, ride in the fire truck with the siren on, and visit her favorite little people. She loved it! I also reminded her she needs to have pictures to go with her college applications to show she'd an active member of her community. And her junior class is hiding 1000 bunny eggs across the yards in the county tonight for the littles. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry you lost thethe recipe book....but glad you had some great family time and love the name Saywer!!! Perfect for a grand!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. a loooong time ago, i lost all of my childhood treasures in a basement flood ... i still miss my teddy bear and the dolls with crocheted dresses and my favorite books and the doll clothes that my mother convinced me were made by Santa's elves ... i'm not sure if that kind of loss ever goes away and sometimes it can rise up and smother me ... your loss was so much more, and my heart goes out to you

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry. When I was a child we had a fire that took everything. We didn't have much but....you know. Sending lots of hugs this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lilies are pretty but stink. Thistles on the other hand are gorgeous! I have been known to tromp thru wet lands and fields to get one. I don't celebrate easter either so wherever the heathens end up at least I will.have company.

    I wonder if they have quilt shops there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry about the loss of the family recipes. Such a painful reminder of what you have been thru when you have been working so hard to move forward. Our family would have lost my mother's recipes if I hadn't been assertive and taken the cookbooks and recipe box when several of us were cleaning out the house after my Dad died. My older sister was mad that I had taken them and demanded that I give them to her. If I had they would have been just throw away after she died last year since the executrix for her estate was a non-family member and was brainwashed that the rest of us were just mean to her. Are there any other family member that might have copies of any of the recipes?

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from friends! Thanks for leaving a message!