Wednesday, March 21, 2018

sew stitch snap SHARE #22

I am going to show you something that will make you happy!

I am linking to Sew Stitch Snap Share #22

I do a lot of fiber art, and sometimes you do to.  You may call it small quilts, or art quilts or even wall art.  Whatever you call it, you may want to hang it on the wall or exhibit it somewhere.  Maybe someone will give you something you don't' want want to put on your bed or use to cover yourself on the sofa.

Or just maybe......your DOG eats a part of your FAVORITE quilt and you have a piece of it you want to hang on the wall so the dog will forever be shamed when he looks at it everyday.  You could even hang it over the cabinet where he EATS and will see it TWICE a day.........whatever.

Whatever your reason, you will at some point in your life want to hang a quilted piece on the wall.

Here is how I do it.

Generally, these fiber art pieces are not heavy, unless you are really into embellishment or huge-ness.  So I like to go find me a nice free yardstick.  Pick them up when you are at home shows or places giving them away.  If you have none and need one, go to a hardware store and buy one for about a buck.

Yardsticks are made of balsa wood and are light and easy to cut and screw into.  You don't need fancy tools.

Cut the yardstick to fit the back of the piece but not extend beyond the edges.  I do not let the yardstick go beyond the back or where the binding is on the edge. 

If you need to paint it to hide the dark numbers and lines do so.  They paint up well.  I like beige. But I don't paint them unless I really need to.  I don't obsess over things like SOME people I know.

Find a neutral piece of fabric and create a sleeve for the yardstick.  The ends need to stick out about half to one inch on each side.   I tack the sleeve to the back of the piece on the ends and in the middle of the top and bottom of the sleeve.  If the piece is long I might add more tacking stitches down the sleeve as needed to make sure it hangs straight as needed.

Slide the yardstick into the sleeve.  I make the sleeve pretty form fitting against the yardstick. 

I used to whip stitch the whole sleeve, but I found that was too constraining and caused the piece to bend and hang crooked.  I prefer to let it find its own level.

To finish with the hangers you need the tiny eye hooks.  The smallest you can find.  I used 1/2 x 1/2 eye screws, they call them.  The wire is picture hanging wire, but I found 20 gauge or 15 lb wire that I use as well.

To start the eye screws I use an awl.  Crossword puzzle word, ladies.  It is simply a screwdriver with no head.  A man's ice pick, in other words.  An ice pick would also work to start a hole; don't make it too deep, you will break your yardstick.  Just enough to start a hole.


Put your eye hook in with your fingers, start turning.  I put the awl in the eye of  the eye hook and use that to turn it, until it almost comes out the other side.

Then the other side.

Then add the wire.

Cut the wire about 4 inches longer than your span.  Use the extra to bend back, twirl around to look cool and hide the ends and you have a hanging piece!

Voila!  (don't you hate when people say Walla?)  LOL.......

2 comments:

I love to hear from friends! Thanks for leaving a message!