Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Range of color in scrap quilts

OK......so Charlene has been telling me that I should have kept those first red and beige Four Patches in the game.  And I was skeptical.

I am not sure I really wanted these to mix but I did read this today that confirms what Charlene said as a scrap fact.



The backstory is that I needed a book to trade at a guild meeting so I found a great book called, get this,

Use Scraps, Sew Blocks, Make 
100 Quilts!


By Stuart Hillard.  Stuart is pretty cool in his weird sweater......maybe.  But the book got here today.  I needed it last night.  Right.

Anyway, he has this insightful paragraph in his Making Colors Work section:

"One of my favorite color combinations is blue (or red) with cream, but in the best scrap traditions make sure the blues (or reds) go from light to dark and every shade and permutation in between and that the creams range from white to tan."

White to tan.  He ranges his neutrals from white to tan.  

Interesting.  

I would not have put whites with tans. And in this quilt I wanted it to be more modern looking.  So in that vein, I am keeping even my colors to be more of the same color, same shade with little variation.  I want them to read as a solid.  

When I made the red and white Four Patches for Charlene, I realized that I needed to have white instead of beige if I wanted it to be modern looking.

So I thought that was interesting when I read that paragraph and recalled what Charlene talked about, it made me think I needed to share it all with you.

So here it is.  Neutrals range from white to tan and white and tan do go together.

 And according to this quilt in his book, he must know Bonnie Hunter...……..just sayin'




5 comments:

  1. Just remember all I am doing is passing along BH hints! Watch her on YouTube and you will pick up lots of knowledge. A Modern Scrap Quilter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just looked to see if the library had this book and they don't so I put in a suggestion for them to purchase it. It looks like a really good book! I think you are right with going with just white for a more modern look. I love that 16 patch quilt on the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you use a range like the one he suggests, the quilt has more depth and causes viewers to come in closer to see the fabric details. When everything sits on one plane (reads as a solid), there's nothing to investigate beyond the overall graphic. Hence the reason I always use a range of colors in my quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Food for thought in your post and your friend's comments. Will I ever get to the point that I will care if a viewer comes in close to look at the fabric? Probably. Color Theory is my Nemesis. But I'm working on it
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just seen someone else recommend the same book. It sounds like he has some interesting things to say.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from friends! Thanks for leaving a message!