Monday, September 24, 2012

I have invented the Glenda Maneuver

Nearly at a winner for the 2000th post!  Get your post in there and see if you win!  SOON!

I am also a winner because I finished the quilting on Lockblocks this morning.  And I had a very interesting thing happen to me on the last row.

No, I did not run out of thread, or bobbin, as you would think.  This was the most odd situation.  I am sure, like REALLY sure, you have never had this happen to you, I think I invented this.  In fact, I will call it the Glenda Maneuver.  But it will most likely never happen to you, so don't worry too much.

I was quilting the very last row.  When I get to that row I will put a row of pins very very close to the edge of the top to hold down any movement of the top edge.  I have had it fold over and get caught in the quilting, so I try to take the precaution against that happening.

I used the large yellow headed pins so I could see them, sort of, out of the very bottom of my eye.  My Panto Shelf is up top and I really can't see where I am actually sewing when the machine is moving over the panto lines.  Every once in a while I will stop and sight where I am close to a pin, move it if i have to.

But I must not have been paying too much attention, when WHAM! I hit a pin.  Of course the needle broke and there was a loud knocking noise associated with things not being right.  So I take the needle out and change it.  I cut the pin out from the quilt, it was pretty well sewn in there.  The pin is not even bent!

I set the stitching line again and start.  KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK.  I stop.  Something ain't right.  I check the set of the needle, turn the machine off and on again.  Looks good.

BANG BANG BANG!  Oh, oh.  I take the needle out and re-set it.  Turn the machine off and on again.  I  move the machine to another position and run my hand under the needle area under the quilt but nothing feels amiss.

Come on, I have 1/2 of a row to finish the darned thing!  Actually I said @#$%^&*()_

I start off again and it seems the noise is a bit quieter.  And I notice it is not really interfering with the quilting part, so I cautiously finish out the row and take the quilt off the rails.

As I move the quilt over the rail, I hear a metallic clang.  Never having heard that before in that room associated with a quilt, I look at everything I think could have done it.  Nothing jumps out.

I fold the quilt up and eat lunch.  Let the dogs out.  Decide to take photos outside.  I move the quilt to the metal bench.  Clang.  How odd.  I hold the quilt up, feel around the edges, it was way too loud for a pin, but I check the edges anyway.  Nothing.  I shake my head and wonder what the heck is making that sound.

I take the quilt out to the wooden deck for more photos.  GLONK.....sounds less metallic but definitely a bang.  What?  Huh? No idea.

 I fold up the quilt and leave for a meeting.  I come home, so does Frank, I say look at the quilt.  He opens it up, and admires it as only a husband whose wife has made thirty thousand quilts that all look the same to him that just sit in every corner of the house at any given time.

Not being satisfied, I open it out and lo, and behold......this is what I find, sewn into the back of the quilt.

I am amazed that it stayed on in all the places I took it.  I would never have looked in the grass, on the deck or on the patio for it.

glen:  I have perfected the Glenda Maneuver!


  1. That is totally amazing! And you didn't even realize that it was gone? Even after you took the quilt off the frame?

    Leave it to Glen!

  2. O.M.G. The Glenda Maneuver sounds too much like something that *I* would do. I'm glad to know that all's well that ends well. The quilt is a beauty!

  3. I am totally amazed! I can't even imagine how this could have happened. I am so glad no real damage was done to the quilt or the machine.


I love to hear from friends! Thanks for leaving a message!