Saturday, December 23, 2017

The Daily Bird # 23 - Rosie the Riveting

Baby sitting duties are finished until Tuesday.  I am hoping both baby and grandma will be well again.  I am so glad to have found this new allergy doctor, I knew I was sick, but it was just a malaise rather than a down and out illness.  He is working on strengthening my immune system with a series of vaccines and anti-histamine response medications.  I haven't felt this well in years.


When I met my cousin at Middendorf's I snapped a few pics of their German Santa.  The area is known for its German settlers.  Hammond, LA was established by Peter Hammond (1798–1870), the surname anglicized from Peter av Hamerdal who was escaping the Napoleonic Wars in Europe.  

Here in South Louisiana, the German tradition of having Santa or Weihnachtsmann come on Christmas Eve is why we share our family gifts on the night of Christmas Eve.  In the morning we wake up to the Christkind or Christmas Angel who brought gifts to the children.  I love the way we separate where the gifts come from.   It  makes our gifts to each other more meaningful. 

We have talked about Middendorf's before, the best thin fried catfish in the world!   Amazing stuff, it is.

Some of the Germans settled here from the German ships that were in the New Orleans Port as World War I broke out.  They had to quickly assimilate and learn to speak English because to speak German meant you could be arrested or worse.  Eventally they sent for their families to join them in South Louisiana.   I have the German side of my genes though my mother's mother, who came to America as a young girl to work with her dressmaker Aunt Wilhelmina Pottharstt in New Orleans about that time.  they were escaping the horror of the French-German no man's land called Alsace-Lorrain. 

That probably was not the beginning of my fabric genes.  I am thinking that goes way back even further!










McGee says I need to feed him, so let me show you the ne bird quickly here.




This is Rose.  Or Rosie the Riveting, as her friends call her.  She is such a cheerful gal, she loves to gossip and she is a chirper! 

All  day long, day in and day out.  She chirps about the love birds and where they are hiding this hour.  She chirps about the Patriotic Pigeons and the new Tax Bill......get it?

LOL.  Although about now she is getting on the nerves of every bird in the room. 

I am thinking that i need to put a bird cage in there and cover that girl up for the night.



1 comment:

I love to hear from friends! Thanks for leaving a message!