Saturday, June 30, 2012

Sweet Basil Jelly

Ta-Da!

We went to the Farmer's Market this morning and got some great buys.  Tomatoes galore again.  Some are destined for the 4th of July Kabobs made with zucchini, balasmic marinated t-bone steak cut into chunks, tomatoes and eggplant.  Others are destined for salads.  I really need to eat salads.


Salads instead of Popeye's Fried Chicken for lunch.  But it was darned good.  I had the new shrimp.  Forgot to take a before picture!  LOL.   It was too good to wait.

Other Farmer's Market items were :







Then there was the Basil.  At the organic produce farmer I found Lemon Basil.  OMG!  Lemon Basil.  Do you know how fabulous that smells?  All the way home in the car.  All the way into the kitchen.  All the way being cut up and processed.  Amazing!  Totally amazing.  I want to just sit in my kitchen and BREATHE!

Here is the recipe from Better Than Store Bought by Helen Witty and Elizabeth Colchie.

1 1/2 c unblemished basil leaves, rinsed drained and coarsely torn including some unopened flower heads
2 c water
2 tbls mild white vinegar or rice vinegar
pinch of salt
3 1/2 c sugar
1/2 bottle of liquid pectin (6 oz bottle so that would be 3 oz)

I had no liquid pectin so the best I could do was a box of Sure Jell that I mixed with some sugar and poured it in when the liquid was boiling.  That is what another type of recipe did with the Sure Jell.  No one could find the liquid around here.  I need to search harder and farther out.

1.  dry basil, chop coarsely.

2.  put basil into large saucepan; crush with potato masher.  Add water; bring to a boil and boil for 30 seconds.  Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 15 minutes.


3.  Strain 1 1/2 c liquid through a sieve into a saucepan.  Add vinegar, salt and sugar and bring to a hard boil, stirring.  When the boil can't be stirred down, add the pectin.  Return to hard boil that cant be stirred down and boil for exactly 1 minute, then remove from heat.
4.  Skim off foam and  pour jelly liquid into hot, sterilized jelly glasses. leaving about 1/2 inch of head space.  Seal at once with melted paraffin or with sterilized two pieced lids.  (I used the lids and did not process further.)

Oh, my!  It was soooo good!




2 comments:

I love to hear from friends! Thanks for leaving a message!