Sunday, November 14, 2010

Farmers Market and soup

On Saturday we headed out to the Red Stick Farmer's Market to see what we could score in regards to fresh veggies and fruits.  We did well.  Some snap beans, what must be early Pontchatoula strawberries and some corn and tomatoes. 

With the promise of fresh corn picked on Thursday, I decided to make corn and shrimp soup for lunch. 

I boiled the corn in salted water until done.  Saute the trinity.  For you non-Louisiana people that is onions, bell peppers, garlic and I always add celery.  I love big chunks of my veggies in sauces so I leave them fairly large.  Don't you just love spaghetti sauce that has veggies you can see?  But I digress.


Then you add your shrimp.  I used the rest of the frozen shrimp I had.  You have to take the tails off and chop them into bite-sized pieces.

Then you cook some more. 

Then you add 2 cans of creamed corn, I added my fresh corn or you can add one can of regular corn if you don't have the fresh guys.  And a can of Rotel Tomatoes and Chilies.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Cook some more.  You can put some in a blender and cream it but as I said, I really like the chunks of veggies in there. 



What you see in there are the green chilies.  I scored a large amount of yellow bell peppers so my bell peppers are yellow.  If you use the green ones it is more colorful.  The red is the tomatoes of course.  I thought at first that the yellow on yellow would be bland but you can actually see the different yellows and I find the yellow bells are sweeter than the greens.




I brought some over to Carrie and Andrew who were busy expanding their garden in the back.  She bought a sea grape and a peach tree to plant along with her elephant ears and butterfly bushes.  Allium bulbs will be intermixed with the greens to make a really wonderful presentation.  She is turning out to be quite the  accomplished landscaper !
Andrew, I am not so sure about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from friends! Thanks for leaving a message!