Friday, May 12, 2017

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly Quilts

This morning a tornado touched down about a mile from us.  Just across the interstate.  Surprisingly my weather aware dog slept!  We are fine.  He went and hid from the thunder that followed the tornado on the edge of the front.  
Just a close call!

In a step closer to recovery, Frank and I put the curtains up in the den/living room.  Boy, did that give it a finished look!  I was surprised the way the room changed.

The curtains are the same  value as the sofa but more greyish.  Unfortunately we lost the space for the clock that has been there for 32 years!  Now I have to find a place I can glance at the clock where I can check it to see when Frank will be home so I will not appear to be sitting on the sofa shirking my work duties.......

The quilt that turned out well was the postage twine.   It has some discoloration and stayed wet or damp for 3 days.  Because of the rain, I had to bring it inside.  I decided it needed a thrill ride in the dryer.  I just heard the buzzer melody so I assuming it is dryer than it was before the ride.

The so-so quilt is the satins and taffeta quilt.  There was minimal run, I guess because the colors were not so dark.  It will be better since it is at least clean and I don't think I did any damage to it other than the dye run.  
The woolen quilt is definitely the Ugly!  I am considering just dumping it into the trash can.  The dark material ran into anything touching it.  So sad.  Yo can also see where the dye is clearing from some of the pieces.  

When I had this one soaking in the tub, the run off of the dye never lessened.  I made the decision to take out of the soak bath and just let it happen.  

I wonder how they cleaned these garments in the early century?  


  1. Sad that the quilt ran so drastically, but my guess is they dry cleaned them. My mom had a favorite bedspread that was supposed to be dry cleaned - the dry cleaners thought I was wrong and washed it - oops. They refused to pay for it and said I told them to wash it. Luckily I kept the carbon with the special instructions that said in all caps - DRY CLEAN. They still didn't pay, but my mother was angry with them not me. The only thing that can be blamed in your case is mother nature and she just doesn't care. Sorry about the heirloom.

  2. What a surprise that the wool lost so much dye, and a shame, but as you said, they had to be cleaned. At least the other two were pretty much okay. Maybe they didn't use to wash stuff - just air it?

  3. You now have your flood quilt made by nature.

  4. I don't remember my mother EVER washing anything that was wool - it was dry cleaned or simply aired out. I don't think the early settlers had dry cleaners so I wonder if any of the quilt historians have answered your question . . .


I love to hear from friends! Thanks for leaving a message!