Sunday, March 11, 2018

Herblets Planted and $60 Saved!

For the first part of the creation of the herb garden please click here. 

Parsley, rosemary, lemon thyme, basil, some sort of mint and Italian oregano.  And some lettuces.  Still need some lemon grass though. 

And lettuce.  I got three packs of assorted lettuce babies.


I went to two nurseries and priced herbs after lunch.  A bad lunch.  Well, a good lunch that was bad for me. California BLT, basically a BLT with avocado and my favorite onion rings.  Yes.....I ate onion rings today.

But I digress.  I priced the herbs I wanted at two nurseries at $3.50 and 4.39 for the same herbs at different places.  So when Dee called me to discuss a mutual dog cyst ailment and the drugs to treat said ailment, she said they were heading to the LSU Horticulture Club Spring Sale.

I headed out there figuring  the herbs would be somewhat cheaper, regardless.   I actually priced the same herbs at various prices throughout the Cow Palace at various booths.  All were cheaper, certainly.  I ended up at the booth asking $2 each for all my plants except for a pot of rosemary with three plants in it for $5.

Math......Cover your ears.

24 plants at average of $3.95 would be $94.80

and I paid $29 since she was getting ready to pick up and go home plus $5 for the rosemary at another booth plus $5 admission for each of us.  That was $44.

Saved myself $50!  Well, $50.82 plus all that tax!  Yay!

So I also had gotten some Vermiculite, thanks Suzette.  I  did need to put that in there.

I filled the pockets with EarthBound Soil mixed with the vermiculite and shoveled it into the pouches.

Then planted my little herblets.  They are so freakin' cute.

And stood back and admired the whole thing.  They looked infinitesimally small.  Hopefully they will grow larger.


We will see what grows and what doesn't.

And don't worry, the mint won't take over, the pockets are individually separated by that center rib.

I didn't realize that until I stated cuttin' the hardware cloth..........
Phase 1 ---------  COMPLETE
This is the view McGee and I have when we are sitting in our chairs watching the back yard go by











My roses are doing well.  Two weeks ago I bought two knock out bushes and two new pots for the driveway.  Knock Out roses are disease free, resistant to bugs, heat tolerant, bloom all season.  Let's see if they love.  So far it seems they do.




 Today I also bought a Lantana bush for the Tufa Pot I made maybe 5 years ago.  Hypertufa is a sort of cement base pot you make in a variety of shapes and sizes.  Anything really.

A lot of artists like it because you can do so much with it as a medium.

I have several with moss growing on them.  This one was made in the bottom of a plastic tub.

6 comments:

  1. You herb garden is so cool! I would have to write on the pallet what I planted as I would forget what was what. I am hesitant to grow any herbs because of the deer and doing all that work to find out they ate it all. I would have to have a chain link fence installed with a cover in order to keep everything safe from them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We must be related somehow. I am a deal shopper too. I would have tracked my savings and been proud of it. Save on girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love herb Gardens! Yours is gonna be outstanding. Even better getting the deals - perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I removed this because he wanted to sell plans for planters. imagine that?

      Delete
  5. We are waiting a little longer for our planting. I have seen snow here in April

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from friends! Thanks for leaving a message!