Monday, May 25, 2020

The Dump.                                

   Happy Memorial Day everyone.  I am grateful for those who died in the service of our great country. We would not have the life we do now had it not been for those willing to stand in front.

I wanted to share a story with you one of the memories I have of my dad. He was a Navy man during WWII on a carrier in the Pacific. He was not a pleasant man to have as a father. But he had his moments.

When we lived in Metairie, he and his friend Al would load up grass clippings and branches and head to the dump. He would ask my mother for 50 cents for the dump.

 I was dating Frank and his dad asked him to take some stuff to the dump. I told him he needed 50 cents for the dump but he insisted the dump was free. clearly he was wrong, my dad always needed 50 cents for the dump.

 But sure enough, when we got there the dump was free. When I asked my dad about that he explained, yes the dump was free. But there was a little bar on the way where highballs were 25 cents. He bought on the way up to the dump and Al bought on the way back!

1 comment:

  1. Your mom probably knew but figured it was a small price to pay.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from friends! Thanks for leaving a message!