Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Cold Birds.......



The temps reached all the way to 29 today.  Positively sweltering.  We are now heading toward 48 hours below freezing.  My fountain is almost solid, and the dog water has been solid since Monday.

I picked up frozen poop all day. 


I am putting the birds together.  I must have made a million HSTs.  Every time I thought I had the spaces filled, I would see more to fill.  I was moving them around until they had a comfortable place to nest.

Interestingly the twins did not want to be next to each other.  And the Love Birds...Oh my!  They wouldn't leave the nest long enough to get any HSTs!




I hit on a great fabric sale and bought 4 yard lengths for backings.  This grey one I bought 8 yards.

I am thinking the yellow birds, well, will be for the Daily Bird Quilt.










Here are some other fabrics that came in the shipment somehow.  Also in 4 yard lengths, go figure.

The solid grey is actually a pale aqua, maybe a teal.....which is more green I guess.





I started filling in the holes and some birds got an extra layer of HSTs.

I couldn't get these two silly birds to stand correctly.   They wanted to hang  off the side of the design wall.


Some got  a surrounding of HSTs.

Still clinging to the side though.








 I decided to add a date and my initials to some of the larger spaces. It was either that or  more HSTs.  I intended to try some branch blocks, but totally became obsessed with making those HSTs. The 2 really does look weird, though, huh?




Here is what it currently looks like.  I hope it is not jumbled looking.  What do you think?

I am going to use  this as my OMG for January!  Go see the rest of  everybody's goals for the month.








I started putting the blocks together in larger blocks.  Here is my first corner.



Geez, those Love Birds................look at the mess they made on the floor.....




12 comments:

  1. Ive doesn’t my time picking up the ol frozen dog poop too. I like what you’ve put together and think your initials are balanced by the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice birds ! I can't wait to see your top done !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are doing awesome! I love it! And the yellow for the back is just perfect.

    I'd have some sympathy for you about the temperatures but it was minus 8 when I left for work yesterday. It is 3 above zero right now. I'd be thrilled with a balmy 29. We are supposed to get 6 - 8 inches of snow tomorrow. I'll be home sewing too!

    hugs
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  4. We too are surviving the unusually cold weather in our area. It has resulted in a special interest in birds here too. This morning when I awakened there was a male cardinal on the feeder and he stayed about 10 minutes. His partner waited playing alarm system the whole time. He then took over from her and allowed her to eat. The other pair of cardinals arrived and the male ran her off. The tiny titmouse and wrens and even a finch braved the other side of the feeder and when the cardinal tried to claim their side of the feeder the titmouse refused to leave and became all wings and motion to put him in his place.

    Love your birds and can't wait to see the final flimsy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving your bird quilt. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck on your project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    Beautiful quilt. Can't wait to see it done. The yellow really makes it pop. Yesterday morning it was -15. Way toooooo cold! This morning it's a heat wave, 7 above zero. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you stuck with the hsts instead of branches! Having fun watching you having fun with this project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the way your birds hang out among the bu ting. Great color choices. Love the white background. Must do that more myself. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am catching up from being away from a computer for 11 days. Your birds are so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cool!! Bird quilts are so incredibly appealing to my - I don't know why I haven't done one. I sure love what you've got going.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the bird quilt! Your layout is perfect. My dogs are poopcicle eaters so they love the cold. Today we got up to 20! You aren't that far off from us.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from friends! Thanks for leaving a message!