Saturday, March 10, 2018

The New Herb Garden

After the flood, during the house rebuild I was the happy recipient of a large pallet.  I don't remember what it contained now, but it was a double pallet.  It has been leaning against the back wall of my boat port since it arrived.

Chloe gets stuck back there and needs rescuing about once a week.


I saved it for the purpose of making an herb garden.  Today I decided it needed to happen.  I already had most of what I  needed: the hardware cloth, staples, air gun.

I knew what I wanted; the design is already in my head, planned long ago and refined over and over again. 

I needed a few things from the hardware store  like some 1 x 4s to add a couple of shelves and some quarter round.

After we pulled up the shrub that has been there for over 25 years, I found some dirt in several places around the yard that had been created by mulching leaves and clippings over the years to fill in the hole.  This made for a stable base for the structure.

 I dispatched two snakes.  Small ones this time of the year.  The internet said they were either black water snakes or water moccasins.   Neither of which I really want in my patio as pets.  You can see McGee there trying to find more.  Like I really need more than two snakes in one day.



 I needed to figure out exactly where this monstrosity should go.  This  looks good I guess.

Of course, later I would figure out that it was in the way of the flood light up there, but I think we can just move the light to face a different direction.


It's a P A L L E T Frank, nothing is L E V E L !  Get over it.


That is Chloe thinking Frank just needs to get over it.







 And of  course I brought out the quilting tools to make the herb garden.  You take the hardware cloth, measure how long it needs to be to make the pouch to hold the soil, double it, add three inches and staple it to the pallet.  That is the tailor's chalk Carrie gave me for my birthday I used to mark it for cutting.  I  cut it with Frank's scissors though, not my own.

Everybody wants in on the action, DiNozzo just wanted to lay on my stuff.



I know it is hard to see and understand but I stapled the doubled hardware cloth into a pouch that hangs in the center of the pallet.


 Here is Frank doing some high work on the step ladder.  I just climbed on the pallet.  It held heavier stuff than me originally, really Frank, it is OK.

This is a small speck in a big universe.  I made him lay there and TRY to be good after he knocked my camera off the table and knocked it around a bit on  the cement.  I was not happy.


We finished it off by putting the quarter round on the front of the  board.  This not only cleans up the look but it holds the font of the hardware cloth pouch in place. 

 I must have freaked him out because he is still laying there. 
This is what it looks like by end of day. The dirt delivery never came and the rain was threatening to become a torrential sprinkle.  The predicted rain never materialized.

Tomorrow we will go to Louisiana Nurseries and see about getting the herbs laid in.

I can't wait to see it finished and in the summer with all the herbs growing and filled out green.













3 comments:

  1. Are you going to add drip lines? Maybe look for vermiculite to help hold water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah...your project is wonderful! It is so telling to see how you and Frank approach a project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love fresh herbs and wish I could just come by and sniff. I guess the herbs my husband is growing for me will have to do. 2 types of basil, parsley, thyme, rosemary, oregano and sage. Hope the smells are enticing at your home.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from friends! Thanks for leaving a message!