Thursday, March 29, 2012

Best Laid Plans

Best laid plans of mice and men, as the saying goes.  Actually Robert Burns said,

The best-laid schemes o' mice an men,
Gang aft agley,
An lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promis'd joy!

And it really doesn't matter that we understand his Olde English words or not, you get the gist of it.

So Frank had told me he was going to have a long long day today, leaving early and getting home very late.  I was happy.  Not to have him gone but to be able to cook.  Since Carrie did not want me to upset her pristine (not) kitchen, I was going to do it here.  I called Amber and found she was heading out passing by the house and would drop off the foodstuffs on her way.  BUT......

When I awoke at 7:30, he was just finishing up breakfast.  Hmmmmm.  Not so early, I surmised.

He had decided NOT to go to the first meeting but to head to an entirely different direction, like Belle Chasse, that would take him out later and get him back sooner.  Hmmmm.

Ok, I will deal with it.  About 9 AM he says to me, are you mad at me or something?  I sense that you want me to leave.  I did not want to engage this man in conversation, not that there is much likelihood that he would actually have a conversation with me, but I wanted him out of here, since the food was coming in at 9:30.

I smiled, sweetly and said, No, I just don't want you to be late!  Here is your drink and your snacks for the road, bye! Off I went into the back and he eventually left in about 10 minutes.  Iam sure he was early for his meeting in Belle Chasse.

So I get the food from Amber and commence to cooking.  Twelve mirlitons and sixty beautiful shrimp gave their all for my Stuffed Mirliton Casserole.  And 5 lbs of Louisiana Crawfish jumped into two huge double batches of Etouffee.

While I was making the casserole I ran out of Italian Bread Crumbs.  Aughh.  Attempting to improvise, found some stale crackers in the pantry.  Perfect.  I took the bag out of the box and began to crush them up, but the bottom of the bag broke all over the floor.  Which just happened to be occupied by DiNozzo.  He ended up eating most of the crackers while Chloe raced in from the yard to get the rest.  I searched for another item to use, and decided upon the crackers I bought for the dip for Saturday.  Oh, well, sacrifice is a noble deed.  And now I am really craving crackers.

Then I had to clean it all up.  It took nearly as long to clean everything and make it like it never happened.

I called Amber and she was just leaving Best Buy and was passing in front of the house and would pick up the cooked goodies for storage until Saturday.  Perfect timing.

But when I walked back into the house, it smelled wonderful.  Not good.  I opened the door and put the stove vent on, sprayed Lysol all over the house and mopped the floor with Pine Sol.  Anything with a strong smell, got sprayed, mopped and fanned.

I can't smell it anymore, but I am sure Mister Nose will when he comes home.  Where are those Smelly Bassets when you need them?


glen





1 comment:

  1. Quick, throw some bread in the bread maker, it will smell wonderful and the others will fade....

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from friends! Thanks for leaving a message!