Thursday, March 22, 2012

Next Step in the Zig Zag Saga

When you get enough on your wall, or like me, run out of available pins you can move on to the next step.  But cautionary word here.  Don't go too far ahead or you will be making those nasty Y seams!

Since this is pin intensive to keep on your design wall, and you really need a design wall to construct this one, I suggest beginning to make your diagonals at some point.

I started with 7's.  Or rather L's.  I made the pink ones first and replaced them on the design wall as 7's and realized they needed to be L's.

When you get a line of L's, you can string them together.  But don't sew the rows together just yet.  I will tell you when it is safe to do so.



I thought it might be a good time to offer a tip on how to make sure this sewing part goes easily for you.


1.  Choose two blocks of the same color in the zig zag line.














2. Fold the one down on top over the one on the bottom.  I take the pin out of the top one, then fold down.  Take the pin out of the bottom block and use it to mark the seam where you need to sew.  If you do this now on the design wall, it will save you some headaches down the road at the sewing machine.


3.  You don't have to pin exact and perfect, I don't.  I straighten it up when I get to the machine.  Speed sewing for sure!  Then I sew them together and replace on the design wall.  I do about 10 block segments  at a time.  Right now there are 6 rows of colors so it is easy to keep track of where they go and in what order.

Remember don't sew the rows together just yet.  The time is not now, no matter how eager you are to get a corner done. I am already rethinking the size of this one.  I am thinking that it may need to be only about 18 squares wide rather than 20 and I can use the leftovers to make the second row of that color.

But I also had another brilliant thought.  What about a VERTICAL Zig Zag line?

Yes, my pretties, yes, vertical..........

glen:  are you following along, my pretties???????




2 comments:

  1. I will send you a picture of the patches I already have made and the small box of yet to be made patches. Is that cheating? Too bad! I have an 8' x 8' design wall and I don't usually need to pin my pieces unless I open a window and the breeze blows. Right now I have my linen piece on the design wall, but it is to the point it is only taking up half the design wall. I am taking a half day vacation today so tomorrow I will have the start of my zig zag to show you.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from friends! Thanks for leaving a message!