Thursday, April 25, 2013

Mark Rothko? Are You Serious?

I sat in court this morning and read nearly all of the new book by Elizabeth Barton -Inspired to Design.  It was very close to the class I just took with her through Quilt University.  Now I want to create something.

*My beloved Quilt University is closing!  So sad, her husband has been running it, keeping it going through her sickness.  But now he is letting it go.  Through QU I have learned under some quilting artists I would never be able to afford in time or money, like Elizabeth Barton and Betty Alofs to just name two.

Being close in nature to the class, I will have a better opportunity to understand what she was saying in there.  I was so lost because I didn't have the background in art studies that most of the class had.  She taught to those and left me squarely behind!  I sat with Carrie, my artist child, and began to understand some of what she was saying.  But with the book now, I can work and go on journeys to find my understanding and not get trampled in the rush.

I think if you are an Art Quilter, you should check out her work.  She creates what I would like to do.  I don't think I can say it any better than that!

Don't click to look inside, it won't work.  But you can go to amazon.com and do it there.

I don't get any money from this, darn it!  But I do like to pass along something I find helpful to me.

She suggests looking at a few artists and finding what you like to look at.  I found I did NOT like to look at Mark Rothko.  I can do that........just saying.

2 comments:

  1. Gosh, I took like 4 or 5 classes through Quilt University. I'm surprised that he can't sell it, seems like someone would be interested in buying it. There are other places online similar, but QU was the best.
    I can't believe that Carol Miller died. She had such a great sense of humor. Well darn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about the end of the Quilt University. I never took any classe, but it sounds like it was a great resource. Now I like Rothko's work. There is one of his pieces at the Akron Art Museum and I whenever I am there I always make a point to go visit it. When you see it up close it is more complex than how they photograph. But that was is interesting about art - so much variety that there are artists you like and don't like - otherwise it would be boring if everyone like and did the same thing!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from friends! Thanks for leaving a message!