The whole total was $15.00. Can you believe that???
I was so happy! But all three pairs needed some redesign in the waist area. I guess that I must have a skinnier waist than I thought. (That is a really good thing!)
I can't take credit for this, I did read it on the internet somewhere. But it works beautifully.
I cut the elastic about 8 inches long. Stretched it as I sewed and broke one needle when I hit the mid seam. So be careful, especially if you don't have a powerful machine. Mine is a heavy hitter and went through the denim double and quadruple layers easily. Sew slowly if you are having problems and wear safety glasses or some covering for your eyes if that needle flies!
The red and purple were done that way, but the cigarette pants got a different treatment. I opened the back seam from the crotch up to the waistband. Then I slit the waistband at the mid seam. It was not easy to pick out the stitches, but I persevered!
When I determined it would be a good place to sew, I re-stitched the seam and ran a zigzag next to it in the seam allowance. I don't have a serger, but that would work as well.
Again, having a powerhouse machine made it easy to run up the seams and match all the doubled seams I had to go over.
Now I have three pairs of jeans that fit so much better!