Friday, November 17, 2017

Perfect Rust





Remember that bag of nails I scored at Habitat Restore?




Got me some Economy Cloth and drew a square.  A bit off center, because, I am not always not middle of the road.



Added some nails to the square




This is the jumble of nails 



Yeah, I used my pyrex casserole dish.  A metal pan would have rusted, right?  And I wanted only the nail marks.  So don't tell Frank, OK.


It took two days for the nails to rust.  And they didn't do it well, I was kinda disappointed.  



I changed my mind when I rinsed out the fabric with saline.  The corners were stiff and I spent a lot of time scrubbing the edges.


It dried beautifully.  I like the controlled rusting.  Now I want to go to some resale shops and see if I can find some rusty tools.  I wish I knew someone who had a machine shop, now that would be cool.  Or a shipyard....oh yeah.  Rusty ship stuff.

Yes, my husband represents several machine shops but I have never been able to get him to haul rusty compressor parts home......

I am linking this up with Nina Marie at her Creations blog Off the Wall Fridays.  This is certainly off the wall rusting!  She talks about Nancy Zeiman and others link up to show their stuff.

7 comments:

  1. Way cool! What a difference from that dark ugly mess to the lovely orange yellow rust beauty. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like the controlled rusting. Have fun using it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like this! Well done to persevere...even when you might have initial doubts, "it's never over till it's over". :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is kind of shibori rusting and I love it! What did you put on the nails to make them rust?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rusting has left me underwhelmed, until I saw the results of your piece. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This turned out fabulous! You are the queen of rusting fabric!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from friends! Thanks for leaving a message!