Monday, February 26, 2018

Uh oh....

Did someone say "over-commit"?

I have a new project, of sorts.  At Sassi Strippers they are doing a Round Robin where you work on your own quilt as the project progresses.  I had no idea what i wanted to work on.

And it hit me today as I went through the small pile of orphan blocks trying to analyze the quilt that would form around it, I realized that I had lost most of my blocks in the flood.  And the few I have left are either too small  or had red dye running into the white of the Christmas tree background.

Then I remembered the Navy Seal that I told my cousin I would build a quilt around for her.  Perfect!

The first round was given as pinwheels.  Hmmmmm.......I  had decided to try to work in Modern style and, geez....pinwheels aren't exactly Modern.

So I just started making some pinwheels and made up a plan as I went.

And here is where I ended up at when I had to leave to meet with the lawyers.

I really like working this way.  Improvisationally.  Not really having a plan, but having a direction. Not worrying about  how exact the blocks are.  Making the blocks fit the space.

I am happy with the way it looks.  Not knowing what the next month's direction will take me, I am glad the pinwheels weren't exactly Modern.

I got a package from China today, my second this week.  I think we are doing a lot of trading with China and they are taking advantage of the anonymity of the great vast web that looks like it is in my backyard.  But I really liked the shoes that came in the package.  They will make a great finish to some summer shorts.

Yikes!

I bought two bathing suits on Sunday.  All my summer stuff was lost in the flood when all my furniture was hauled out to the street.  Having lost this weight, it was much easier to find suits that fit than it was before.  I really like both of them, for a change.  I have Sawyer set up for some swimming classes and  a couple of baby swim groups starting next week.  I won't freak you out with photos yet.

I picked up the baby this afternoon; he is sporting an ear infection.  Probably allergies as they run in my family.  I am thinking that Tylenol is a miracle drug.  He went from fussy crying to this happy exploring guy.  His mom is under the weather as well, so I tried to help make it easy for her by doing some of his bedtime routines before she picked him up.

As she strapped him into his car seat, he was already nodding off to dreamland. And I was left wodering when he was going to ever get some hair.........just like  his grandma!

6 comments:

  1. Love the shoes. Sawyer is adorable without hair and it will make swim lessons easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your pinwheels very much! Right now the quilt looks like it could end up square. With improv you could easily change the sizes or add an extra row at the top and bottom so that it is rectangle. Improv is the bomb! Sawyer looks very happy even without hair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Combining the different sizes of pinwheel is more modern than traditional. Maybe you should try for contemporary instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tylenol and anbesol - must haves in the diaper bag.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an idea for a modern pinwheel. https://spinningstar.blog/2018/02/20/more-cutting-and-sewing/ I think that can take you down several paths.

    What a cute baby he is! Glad you are enjoying him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't feel bad about the shoes being from China. Even if you bought them locally....they were made in China, Vietnam or Indonesia. At least that is where all the majority of the shoes were made for the company I retired from in December. We 'shared' factories with all the major shoe distributors.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from friends! Thanks for leaving a message!