Sunday, July 22, 2018

Poor Frank - I took the Talisman Class and Loved it

Sawyer was with Frank and I on Friday.  He had been climbing into his old walker and scaring the bejeezus out of me.  A friend had given me several pieces of baby equipment no longer used by her grandbaby and I pulled out the baby motorcycle thingy even though I figured he would be too young for it yet.  But he needed to climb on something.

So we went with it.

I was surprised he was able to figure it out so quickly and get the bike moving with his legs.   He figured out how to back up by himself and he was parallel parking before I knew it!  He is a smart little cuss.

On Saturday I went to the Livingston Arts Council for the CFAL Class taught by Donna LaFleur Amulets, Talismans and Spirit Pouches.  We started with a lecture series and sharing our talisman we brought to work with.  We did some guided meditation and used our visions to begin working on our projects.


I loved sharing the stories with the other ladies in class.  We each had items that had special meaning only to ourselves; rocks, a piece of ribbon, a broken doll head, an old dog tag.

Mine started from a piece of shirt that was retrieved from a CAAWS Board member Libby's axle on our first visit to the shelter following the flood.  It was a great messed up piece of shirt with holes and lots of meaning.

I have always been conscious of rocks, large and small.  There are some that live around my fountain on the patio  we have picked up from all over the country.







Some were brought in by my rock loving mother.  I don't think of rocks without thinking of her.  Donna gave me some great ideas of how to work with rocks as talismans and incorporate them into meaningful pieces or embellishments.








As an underthought in all of this was the idea that so much of my "stuff" was tossed out after the flood.

So I am embarking on another collecting phase now that I have a purpose for all those small bits and pieces of things...…..poor Frank.




 Here is Donna, our teacher and spirit leader.

 









Here is my own unfinished pouch -front and back.  That is
my Irish Setter Ginger's dog tag from 1986.



it kinda reminds me of Sponge Bob SquarePants......hmm




 Here are the all the different pieces that were worked on in the class.

Everyone loved the techniques, the teacher and the meditative aspect of the whole process.

Now I want to make become one with the spirit of all my fabric!






5 comments:

  1. Great show and tell!!! How wonderful you get to create memories with your grand son. I know you cherish those times. I miss that baby stage....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sawyer is just a little younger than our Milly, who has decided that the sofa makes a great mountain. and scales it at every chance. The moment she sees me coming, she tells me, "no no no no."

    The whole talisman idea is very interesting! So what now? Do you wear them or hang them in your sewing room? Oh, when you said dog tag, I thought military dog tag. Imagine my surprise. I have no idea why I didn't think dog first...that certainly would have made more sense!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your workshop looks like it was a blast! I am happy to hear it was all you expected and more. It is so cool Sawyer figured out how to ride that trike. Is he talking yet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you and this class were MADE for each other -- so glad you participated. Happy that Sawyer has wheels now (giggle). Little Man loves his (and he's moving on to the next class beginning Aug 1 -- growing up SO fast!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you got some "baby time". I would have jumped at the chance to take this class. I loved seeing all the completed projects. the term "guided meditation" intrigued me. What a wonderful class.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from friends! Thanks for leaving a message!