Wednesday, July 25, 2018

We Call Her Just In Time Julie

My Bird Quilt has spent the last few weeks living with Julie of Me and My Quilts at Liberated Bird Camp.  She was teaching a class from Lynne Tyler's Liberated Birds in MO.  
They also participated in her Trunk Show.  So it got some fine ogling in the country's midsection.  

My Birds arrived home just in time for me to call Sharon and beg her to let me enter them a bit late into the Kaleidoscope of Quilts Show.  Of course, she was persuadable and The Daily Bird is going to hang alongside the fabulous quilts of the Sassi Stripper Guild.

And here is a piece of history.  Do you know what we were doing two years ago?  August 14, 2016 was the FEMA Flood Event.  It is hard for me to believe it has been two years.  I want to say "only two years" but then I also want to say "two years already".  

Not necessarily my favorite photo from that month, but here are a few of the ones that stick out in my mind.

Here is my sweet Chloe riding in one of the boats as we  evacuated down Jones Creek coming from the roads in our subdivision.  We were stunned at this point, having spent the night in the house with the water rising.  

Our worst nightmares.  We never thought our house would flood.  Our families have been in New Orleans for 3 generations, none of them have ever evacuated during any storm ever.  We are were the first.  

And when we left, we left with three bassets and two back packs.  One filled with Frank's important papers and the other filled with dog food and a bowl.  

That is all we took.  Oh, and toothbrushes.  I remembered to bring toothbrushes, no toothpaste however.  Just toothbrushes. 







Here is what my house looked like as we left.  That is my neighbors mailbox.  I am standing on my neighbor's front porch looking at my house.  


I remember feeling nothing.  Just nothing.  And I felt nothing for a long, long tim













The pile of what is left of my house sat out in the front yard until the claw machine came along to take it to the landfill along with all the other houses on the street.  What was left was drained, dehumidified, disinfected and sprayed.


 This was the state of my sewing room when the waters receded.  

Two years ago this month.  What an auspicious August that was.

I am sure glad that is over.  

But I know it is raining somewhere else this month.  And my heart aches for those people.






6 comments:

  1. I know those are painful memories. I hope the current memories will over ride them. Hugs girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really hard to believe that it was two years ago. Last year my grand daughter in law came to live up here when there was flooding in Texas. She reunited a friendship with my grandson, got married then got pregnant. Some good things can come from floods I guess. I pray this will be the only flood you experience.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I can so identify with this. And yes, you will always "miss" things. The pictures always make my heart ache too. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad that now as you look back you are looking back and no longer overwhelmed by the emotional violence of the loss full time. You have come so far and it is great to see you quilting and and sharing your life again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Happy HAPPY that the birds arrived home safely AND that they will be able to fly into the quilt show. (and HERE'S TO YOU AND FRANK as SURVIVORS!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG...I remember following you at that time and just wondering how you could hold it together....my heart broke for you...but now that's a memory...live for today!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from friends! Thanks for leaving a message!