Friday, October 5, 2018

Mexican Art Class - scroll down after the picture, blog is acting out today......








See the source image




































Amate is what they call it, I know it as Bark Cloth.  Whatever it is, I love the stuff.  I can see all kinds of possibilities for using it in my fiber art pieces.  I am excited and the teacher is really excited that I am loving her stuff.

I just had to take the class when it was offered through OLLI.  That is the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute through LSU.  And Frank wanted to take it as well, even though he is convinced he is no good at "art" stuff.

The teacher is Sandra Ziad and is an amazing artist in a few other forms as well.

She introduced us to the art by showing some YouTube videos of real Atami painters from Honduras.

The picture above is what we are aiming at.

Below is what we have so far.  Mine is on the top and Frank's is on the bottom.  Not bad.  We spent some time in the last class practicing how to use the liner brushes to manipulate the ink for the outlines.  Next week we will jump right into the inking.

Then COLOR!

You will probably have to click on the photos and make them larger to really see the line drawings.  My zentangle work has really helped me with the filling of the space I had on the bark paper.

I find it interesting that most people in the class are really scraed of making a mistake.  Oh, yeah, they should live in THIS world with me!  I make quilting mistakes all the time.  I want to yell at them, put your big girl panties on and hike them up, ladies!











 

6 comments:

  1. Oh man, that looks like a fun class. Why ARE we scared to make mistakes? My OCD makes me tow the line when I want to break free! I love Mexican Art. It's so colorful. I want to live where my house can be painted a bright color. As I age, I find I want bright color more and more. To break the mold. It's one of those "If I only had the money" things.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pieces/drawings are wonderful!!! What a cool class! I'm envious!! Look forward to your progress!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that frank is doing the classes.too! People not used to creating things don't realize that there are no mistakes, only learning opportunities and how to take that learning opportunity and run with it. You get that and they will too. Sounds like a great teacher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your drawings are looking so good. It will be fun to start adding the color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m glad frank is taking the class too. Looking forward to watching these develop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What good fortune that you and Frank can take this class together. Yes, we are all scared of making mistakes. At least they came to the class. They could have sat home worrying.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from friends! Thanks for leaving a message!