Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Take Me Off Into the Swamp In an Airboat, Please

What a whirlwind the last week has been.  And with Christmas coming it seems to have even greater urgency.


Frustrated Me
Monday night we put the dogs into boarding and headed down to New Orleans. I had planned on setting up something fun so I could just take a break and relax.  I looked at things like an airboat through the swamp out of Butte La Rose or Des Allemands.  My second though was a more passive tour of the San Francisco Plantation or the beautiful Laura Plantation.

Neither of those goals were achievable because the Baton Rouge Orthopedic Clinic was incredibly disrespectful of my time.  Sine my appointment was 2:15 and the last time I had an appointment I left after sitting in the waiting room for an hour and a half and never getting called back.

I thought I could outsmart them so I got to the clinic at 1:30 and do my waiting BEFORE the appointment time.  Right?

At 3:15 they called me back to let me sit for another 45 minutes in a room.

When I got to the house, Frank had not brought the dogs to the vet, and I still had to do that.  Now we weren't even able to plan going to dinner in New Orleans.

On Tuesday we attended the Tammy's graduation from the Occupational Therapy program in the UNO Arena on the Lakefront.  In 1970, Frank was a student at LSUNO which later became UNO.  So it was a trip back in time for him as well.

Tammy went back to school after being a Medical Transcriptionist for the last 23 years.  She won all kinds of academic awards in the program  as an honors student.  Her sweet personality will provide a great lift for the patients she will encounter in her job.

Tammy's daughter is working on her PhD at LSU in Operatic Music.
Tammy and her dad Howard

Tammy, husband Billy and Daughter Vivian
There were many tears shared between the two of us, Tammy's mother was a dear friend of mine who lost the fight to cancer 12 years ago.  She had a rare brain cancer.  I know Janice was there with us and was so proud of Tammy's huge accomplishment.








It is interesting to note that while their family lived across the street from us in Tickfaw, LA I was attending Southeastern LA University and they attended MY graduation where I won all kinds of academic honor awards including Valedictorian in one of my undergraduate degrees.










Whistful Me.

What an emotional day after the last week with Diane and Rodney and Jason and Chad.

Which, by the way will continue with Rodney's wake tonight.



4 comments:

  1. this is the kind of week that just drains you. A true roller coaster of emotions. I wish for you a peaceful and serene Christmas to recharge and find a time for laughter too.
    Peace
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would have walked out of the doctor's office. They just act like you have nothing else to do but what until they are good and ready. Congratulations to Tammy. The air boat ride sounded like a lot of fun. I guess you will have to try again as it sounds like you need some relax time after all the turmoil and loss lately. Take care and have a wonderful holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it amazing that some doctors will even tell you that if you are 15 minutes late you will be charged and the appointment rescheduled. I was sitting in the office of one of those doctors waiting to be seen when they told a lady she was going to be charged and then they asked when she would like to reschedule for. I was already an hour past my appointment time. These people were crazy, and luckily it wasn't a doctor I will have to see again. I don't think that unless hell freezes the other lady will either.

    Great to share life altering experiences with others - both good and bad. Hope Rodney had a great sendoff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this valuable information, I hope it is okay that I bookmarked your website for further references.

    best airboat tour

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from friends! Thanks for leaving a message!