Saturday, August 31, 2019

Mississippi River Is Very Low Now

Please click on the photos to make them larger.  It helps me create the post with the smaller photos.  Gotta love Blogger!

I had lunch with Diana and Gwen at Elsie's Plate and Pie.  OMG!  We had seafood and chicken pot pies and two kinds of each, coconut cream, cherry, almond joy and chocolate.  Oh, My!  Can you say "gain 3 lbs dinner"?



So after lunch Frank brought me to the Mississippi River to shoot some photos of the river levels.  I was really shocked to see how low the river is now.



I took a photo of Frank standing down at the river's edge on the batture area and looking up to give you some perspective.  I was on top of the levee above those letters.  Finally, you get to see the letters!









I asked him to run back down the levee to take a photo of the letters.  They are really huge letters on the cemented area of the levee.  Here all you can see is the Rouge part of Baton Rouge.







And to give you a perspective view of how large the letters are, Frank is standing on the river batture looking up to me at the top of the E.  Can you see me way up there. That is a distance of about 42 feet.







Here is the April 2019 level showing the top bar of the E letter.  you can see the very top of the levee where I was standing yesterday in the photo below.









Here is the shot I have been taking of the flooded river showing the height of the water in relation to that E.  The city workers were power washing the steps when we were there and they have washed the evidence of the water levels on that E.  If you remember, the water was in the middle of the top bar of the E.  If you can make out the white markings on the cement just above the E, it is telling us that that is 42.8 feet.







We walked down the levee about a half mile to check out the Paperclip Landing and the USS Kidd, our WWII Destroyer Museum.  IF you remember the Paperclip had water up to near the bottom of that first level.  That is where the American Queen and Mississippi Belle steam ships that tour the River dock for the Baton Rouge tours.  We like to go down and talk to people coming off the steamboats. You can see the  walkway down to the second level at flood stage in April 2019 in the photo below













Here is the USS Kidd back in April 2019 when the River was at its highest.  It was completely floating and held in by the cradle positioned on the side we can't see.  
Here is a great view of the cradle.  It is basically a post pylon with a sheet of metal with a hole it in threaded on the posts.  The metal is attached to the  side of the destroyer.  The Kidd floats freely up and down the post as the river level changes.  This allows the Kidd to float up as the water rises and drop into a stationary cradle when the water level goes beyond the underside of the ship.




And here is the view of the batture around the Kidd.













In the shots from April2019 the water was to the 4th step on the cemented area of the levee.  




Hope you have enjoyed the photos over the last few years.  We are fascinated with the Mississippi River beauty and activity.  And keep in mind, there is no connection the localized flooding we experienced in 2016 and the river levels.  The Mississippi River does not flood Baton Rouge.  We flood from the smaller tributaries  being overwhelmed by rains.  

So that is your Natural History Lesson for today!















6 comments:

  1. Fun to see the same shots from different times and water levels. Honestly I didn't realize just HOW high the river was on those letters earlier this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time for the Mississippi to get a little rest. The ecosystem at the mouth may never recover from the shock of the laxt few years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found this post really interesting and loved seeing the comparison pictures. Even though The Ole Man does not cause your floods, it's still worrisome to your friends that those tributaries might be overflowing too.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the lesson!!! Yes, I always enjoy being taught history!!! Really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is amazing how much the river fluctuates!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every time I read one of these Mississippi River posts I want to run down to BR to play on the levee. Of course, it won't be the same without my Beta students. We'd go to the River Center for convention and find a few minutes to walk over to the levee. I'd say, "Let's take a picture" and everyone would grumble and half were a mile away and some would tell me I'd have to catch them first. It was a whole thing. Anyway, now I'm lonesome for my teaching days. But I'll hang out and be retired till I get over it, if it's all the same to you.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from friends! Thanks for leaving a message!