Sunday, December 8, 2019

SAQA History of Quilting Presentation

OMG!  We were so awesome!  however, I don't have any pics of myself!  I need to ask Suzi to send me some she took.

Our exhibit is located in the front corner of the Dutchtown Library through December.  The 17 pieces were placed on wire shelving and in display cases.  The exhibit looked amazing.  Then Suzi, the SAQA Regional rep gave an overview of the organization and the exhibit.

Then Joyce talked about how the knights wore quilted garments under their chain mail.  She showed a number of great examples of old quilts from her collection and those done by her grandmother.  Talking about the stitching, fabrics and sharing some personal stories, her tale unfolded.  She talked about how quilting has changed through the years.

So at a perfect segue, I picked up the tale of how the Modern Quilting movement started with Martha Stewart and Denyse Schmidt in 1998.  And the how different aspects of a quilt make it a Modern quilt.    I brought about 20 quilts to discuss and share.


Donna and Susan discussed the Art Quilting Movement.  There were displays of art quilts all around the area where people were sitting.

After the presentations people came up and talked about the quilts, looked at the quilting and fondled the minke backs of my quilts!

I had several of my SAQA and CFAL friends tell me how wonderful it was to see the Modern side of my work.  Both groups are art groups so they see me from a totally different perspective.  

It was like the exhibits when we were in France for the Festival Of Quilts and the show was set up showing a whole body of work. Even the Modern Guild only sees one quilt at a time.  So it was an experience seeing multiple examples of each persons work.

Here are some photos from the day!


My quilts waiting for their role to be displayed

Add caption








2 comments:

I love to hear from friends! Thanks for leaving a message!