Thursday, March 19, 2020

IMPROVing an Old UFO

In 2011 I went to a class by Judy Laquidara.  She is a very traditional quilt designer who loves borders. She creates complicated blocks and then adds 12 borders, literally.

It was the only thing at the time, if I wanted to take a class, traditional was all there was.  If I wanted to buy fabric, traditional was all there was.  So I had a side gig, so to speak, of the modern stuff.  And they chuckled at me and pointed when I walked by.......maybe not that bad, but they all knew I didn’t fit that “traditional “ mould.

The box got put aside in 2011, somehow made it through the flood intact, and just taken out yesterday.  There was about 25 bags of precut pieces for future blocks.  No way, was I going to piece more of those blocks. So I took out some pieces and tried to figure out new things to do with the parts.

I put a border of the triangles around the 4 existing blocks, and decided it looked too traditional for me.

I ended up with 10 improv stars with some scattered triangles.  Not sure the triangles will actually stay, or be in that format. But that is how it evolved over the last two days.

More later.

Stay safe everyone!!!!







6 comments:

  1. Looks like fun play! Enjoy if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Satellites or UFOs. Frank should be proud

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those polka dot fabrics. They made cute blocks and stars! I am sure you will figure something out how to finish this out and make it more modern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The one thing I really love about quilting is that we can put ourselves and our own styles into it with minor changes. I do it all the time and enjoyed reading about yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like what you have going there. You have such a humorous way of saying not-nice things. And I completely agree with you, traditional stuff was everywhere, and there was nothing else. I denied my "improv impulse" for a few years longer than you did, but now that I've embraced it, I'm enjoying quilting even more.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from friends! Thanks for leaving a message!