Sunday, June 16, 2013

Day 2 = Creative Journal and a Stash Report

Both my Day 2 - 365 and my stash report are pretty darned exciting!

First off, Stash.  Ba-zinga!  Got that sucker moving in a downward spiral!

used this week -12.25
Used june -15.25
added this week 0
added June 4
used YTD -69.75
added YTD 38
stash reduction -31.75

That includes the Wizard of Oz Baby, The Buggy Barn Dogs (which still needs binding), and my Halloween table runners.  I am getting ready to claim the Mystery Quilt since it is being quilted right now.  That will be a whopper, it is supposed to end up 91 x 91!


Day 2 - Ba-zinga!  Upward Spiral!



Day 2 of 365 - Creativity Journal is animal in nature.  And I knew it had to be a dog.  And the bassets are pretty photogenic.  I found a nice photo of DiNozzo but thought that Chloe's head shot was more interesting.

First I did the sandwich of course.  And I just laid the printed photo on my sandwich and pinned it with my new Hide A Pin Method.  I didn't want to bleed all over my neutral fabric.

Then I drew with my finger where I thought the quilting line should be.  After a few times around I drew with a black marker.  It was then time to quilt.  Free motion of course.  

I added a bunch of thread paining along her muzzle by the nose.  Hated it, ripped it out.  Couldn't find my good tweezers and had to settle for a lousy pair.  If you look really close you will see that the muzzle area has a lot of needle holes in it where it was ripped out.  It will live.

I want to make this point.  It took me all of about 15 minutes to find the photo, make the sandwich and sew the lines.  (It took longer than all of that combined to rip out, but I am not going to count that part since it was my stupidity.)  

So if you want to try this creativity journal, go to amazon, buy one for like two bucks ($2) and get creative.  

I would never have made this piece had I not taken the leap!  I can see a whole quilt like this with different head shots.  





3 comments:

  1. I love the dog head! You did good. I started to do that and didn't like how it went, so I changed what I was going to do today. hehehehe!!!
    I think a quilt full of dog heads like that would be realllllly cool. You should do one of each dog you've ever had, would be a really interesting memory quilt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what Anne said. That would be an awesome quilt. I wonder if I could do this with some portraits of my kids. Want to do one of them in fabric but this woild be a good place to start till I learn how to do that.

    Day 1 & 2 done. Will send email.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the dog head is fantastic! I see potential in your thread sketching future :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from friends! Thanks for leaving a message!