Sunday, February 9, 2014

Architeture Piece - A "Smidgen" of an Idea

 Having procrastinated long enough, I put Frank and all the dogs outside and went into my sewing room.   When I came out I had this piece.  The theme for this month is Architecture.


The material is part of a bunch of samples Carrie brought me a number of years ago when her Architecture firm was cleaning out their sample room.  It looks like linen and is called Verso Texture.  They use it for upholstery work.  It  is of Italian manufacture and is from Henry Calvin and I wish I had a lot of this stuff.  It was wonderful to work with.

The hand was smooth and soft, it felt like it would even drape if you had folds.   And it is classic looking in those heathered colors.  The backs of each color is the same neutral. 

I should have taken a photo of the way it looked pre-cutting.  The blue was the large piece and the various colors were simply sewn on like flaps the size of that brown building with the orange windows.

I put it together using Superior Threads polyester thread.  My
Husqvarna Viking 930E sews it like a dream!  No adjusting, no fiddling, no pulling.  I had a partial bobbin already wound with the poly thread.  I started out doing a zigzag on the edges but wanted to
conserve thread so I switched to a straight stitch.  I don't think it mattered to the look, I don't really see either stitch. 

You can see what this is, sort of a cityscape with tall buildings and green spaces.  A place you might want to live.

The embellishments are from this jar into which I put stuff I find randomly on the street, in parking lots, on floors.  I don't know where that key thing came from, but it is cool looking.  When I put it on that building I noticed the juxtaposition of square shapes and the  circular shape so I went looking for more rustic circle shapes.

The black jagged piece that looked like an indication of grass to me, is from my flat iron hair thingy that I loved, paid a small fortune for, used for 7 years and just died one day.  I never paid much attention to that comb like thing until it's replacement thingy didn't have one.  I missed it greatly!  So remember that if you buy a new flat iron thingy, get one that has the comb piece on it.

I like this piece a lot.  It was easy to put together, and I had only a "smidgen" of an idea going into the process.  And it just came together!  Squares, rectangles, triangles, circles, all in one small piece!

I can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with!

I am linking this up to the Off the Wall Fridays with Nina Marie!  Click here to see really fabulous work




4 comments:

  1. I like this piece! We now have something else in common - I pick up treasures off the streets too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very abstract while depicting architecture. You know about the Textile Architecture exhibit each year.... Bet this stuff was stable and almost prebattinged to work on.
    LeeAnna Paylor
    lapaylor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice, I too pick up random stuff on my walks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really cool! And a great title as well considering all the bits and bobs you used. And yes, I'm another "hunter gatherer". I've been known to risk life and limb just to retrieve a rusted washer in the middle of the intersection. Treasures are where you find them!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from friends! Thanks for leaving a message!