Saturday, March 24, 2018

Remarkable Photo That Will Never Happen Again

And not because it is me in there, although that may be case if the "straight tails mean they are dead" theory is true. 

Crawfish, you know.  you are not supposed to eat the crawfish that have straight tails because that means they were dead before they got boiled.  Well, I ate three of them tonight.  So we shall see.

Today was the CAAWS Open House where we opened the shelter officially to the public with tours of our newly remodeled facility.  We held dog and cat adoptions as usual showcasing our brand spanking new parking lot, air and heating systems, fencing, system of 5 yard areas, 14 dog runs, cat activity shelves dog wash and grooming area and re-braced roofing so the whole thing won't come crashing down on the animals heads.

The building remodel was dedicated to Ted and Anna Anthos whose legacy provided us the money with which to do the extensive remodel of the building.  They were amazing people.  Escaping from Nazi Germany, her father was a Polish officer shot by Hitler's squads.  He worked in the resistance at age 13 until he was caught and brought to a prison camp. 











We had cupcakes.


The Easter Bunny.


And I gave a speech.


Go to my faccbook page if you want to see me cry making that speech while I cut the ribbon at the  Open House.  Thanking my volunteers.  You can always think of a million things to say later, and ways to say it differently. 

 That is OK.  I said it from my heart.  It is hard, what we do,  But we do it anyway. 








Holly Reynolds came.  Thirty nine years ago she started Capital Area Animal Welfare Society in her kitchen in 1979.

She stood beside me and we cut the ribbon to open the remodeled shelter together.










Holly is 99 years old.  And I am thinking this is the last time there will ever be a picture of the first president of CAAWS and the current president of CAAWS together.  And we were both proud to stand beside each other.


5 comments:

  1. I love the pictures. I love that you have given so much time and love yet still get choked up talking about what other people have done. You are special look at those pictures and know it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly has aged well, what a gem she is as are you and the donors who made it all possible. The whole thing just makes my heart sing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on getting the shelter remodeled and up and running! You are looking great! That is a wonderful picture of the two presidents together!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from friends! Thanks for leaving a message!