Thursday, January 10, 2019

Happy Birthday To Kenny

January is a month of famous birthdays.  Elvis was born on January 8.  My brother shares his birthday with Elvis.  So I called my brother, bought a funny card and a present and went down to have lunch with him and Michelle.

We went to a small refinery town in southern Louisiana toward New Orleans from here called Geismar, LA.  Literally nothing but refineries and chemical plants and the people who work in them.



We also call it Cancer Alley.  But the food is good and Pam and Dale's Restaurant did not disappoint.






I took some pictures of the pipelines that run from plants, across River Road and down to the ships on the Mississippi River.

The first photo shows the river levee as it rises from the road bed.  The mighty Mississippi is on the other side!

The  second shows various pipelines crossing the road, an intricate web of pipes.






The third is a tank, holding who knows what, most likely some sort of oil in some stage of refinement.  There is a cat cracker on site that will separate the oil into various components.

Frank spent his career in these plants.  He has driven these roads for 42 years.  He doesn't miss it a bit!






My brother brought me a king cake.  And once


we got home and cut into it, Frank immediately gets the baby.

The significance of that is when you get the baby in the King Cake you are celebrated as King of the Day.  But, you must bring the King Cake to the next party!



Here is my brother and his wife Michelle.  He is like 6 foot 4 inches tall and fits into this Mini Cooper.

There really isn't anything Mini about Kenny!  But he sure does love that car!

Geez, but he looks like my dad...……...


 








4 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Kenny! Sounds like you have a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great family celebration. Having lived in texas near the channel at Houston the refinery stuff looks familiar. We used to eat at a restaurant close enough to the refineries that there were days if the wind was the wrong direction when we got there we ate somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday to your brother. That last line really struck me. Is it strange (as it is for me) when you see your dad in your brother? I never know quite what to do with that pang of recognition.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from friends! Thanks for leaving a message!