Thursday, May 30, 2019

Surgery

No, not a new serger!  LOL surgery.

About 6 years ago, my brother was diagnosed with thyroid cancer.  It affected his lymph nodes and vocal cords.  His surgeon suggested I get screened as well, even though it is not supposed to be hereditary.

So I had ultrasounds every 3 months, then every 6 months then yearly.  I had what they call cold nodules.  Bit they remained the same size until last January 2018

My surgeon suggested I have another ultrasound in June last year.  That one showed a minor changes from January’s test.  So in January 2019 I had another ultrasound. This one showed some major changes in the nodule structures.

I had a needle biopsy after that, maybe February.  The results came back as undiagnostic.  Which meant they didn’t get cancer cells directly, but they couldn’t rule out cancer.

After much research and thought, it occurred to me one day, why let myself get cancer?  So with my surgeon I made the decision to have it removed.

Tomorrow I will have a biopsy on the large nodule on the left side.  They don’t like nodules over 2 cm. If it is not diagnostic, I can leave it in and hopefully produce thyroid hormone without having to take synthetic.  I figure the real stuff is better than the fake stuff.

At the minimum he will remove half of the thyroid.

June 13.  It is not a Friday so I should be OK.

Thanks for all the well wishes and thoughts.  Once I thought about it, I realized there was just one choice.  To remove it.  Why let myself get cancer, Was a DUH moment you might say!

In other news, I have salad growing in my garden!






5 comments:

  1. Best wishes for all to go well with your thyroid. The throid controls so much it's best to get it right
    Xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a well-thought out and good response to the circumstances. I hope and pray that all goes well with you and your surgery. Anxious to hear how it went once you get out of surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any surgery is scary,but I think having cancer hanging over my head might encourage me to make a similar choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wise course of action - sending all manner of good wishes your way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good thoughts coming your way. Take care and let us know how you are doing as soon as you feel up to it.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from friends! Thanks for leaving a message!