Monday, November 16, 2020

Surgery Plus One Week

 Had my Dr Heigle appt at the crack of dawn this morning At 7:20 AM. He was very pleased with the condition of my eye.  I still have a pretty nice black  eye!  He said the swelling is less than he usually sees at this point and that what he can see through the gaps in the lid looks like it is beginning to clear. This happens when the Amniotic Membrane begins to dissolve and integrate into the eye as a base material for epithelial cells to fill in the wound area.  I wear an eyepatch when I go out in public because I imagine it is pretty shocking to see an eye sewn shut.  So if I have to wear an eyepatch it might as well be blinged out, right? 

I am pretty surprised that as much as I’ve talked about this procedure, most people still didn’t realise my eye would actually be sewn shut.  I guess it is sort of inconceivable..  I know it was for me!  

Amniotic Membrane or placental tissue is collected from the placental area of the birth materials in humans.  It is only taken from caesarean births, to prevent further external contamination, and is the part that faces the baby  AM is rich in Stem Cells which is why it is superior  for limiting scarring and promoting anti inflammatory response.  

It is all so interesting!!




3 comments:

  1. Oh my, what a wonderful way to take care of an eye! Amazing, the knowledge and skill of modern day doctors! And what courage of modern day patients! Congratulations and I hope all continues well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you are doing well! I had no idea that they would sew your eye shut, but it makes sense. Are you having any pain? I hope not, because pain in your eye is awful. I got a herpes infection in my eye one time and the pain was horrible. Have no idea how I got the infection. Your eye patch is snazzy! Take care and take it nice and easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy at how great things are at one week and can't wait until they are so much better as the healing continues!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from friends! Thanks for leaving a message!