Sunday, November 18, 2018

Green Tomato Jam

I told Carrie that her tomatoes needed to be covered during the freeze we were about to undergo.

She assured me they would be fine.

The freeze came an now I am the recipient of a lot of green tomatoes!

What to do?

Why, Jam of course!









I chopped.....



I simmered spices...…..

I stirred...…..
 and I canned.

Look at that pure golden color.  Thick, rich and gold.

It tastes amazing.  There are some recipes that say to strain the tomatoes out of the syrup.  And other say to leave it in.  I started off straining it out and then tasted the bits, as they are called.

A M A Z I N G

I decided that the pieces should not be strained out, but celebrated!

I put the concoction into several canning jars, but did not process them.  they will stay in the fridge an be used up.

I am not sure how to get hold of more green tomatoes, but I think it is an addition I have...……..

Oh, yeah.

Addicted.

For sure...….


















4 comments:

  1. Until the end of the post I was thinking of how to get to Baton Rouge and con you out of a jar. Now I know I should not waste my time, breath or gasoline. Glad it turned out so well. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of green tomato jam. When I read "what to do with them" I immediately thought Fry Them. I bet I'd like that jam too!
    Happy Thanksgiving.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am another one that never hear of this. What does it taste like? What do you use the jam for? It is for toast or a sandwich spread? It is sweet or savory? Maybe you could have Frank put up a sign in front of the house -"Wanted - Green Tomatoes"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting! Love something new! And this is really new to me! One who lived on a farm...I should know this, right! Guess we always ate all the tomatoes and never had any turn green! HA

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from friends! Thanks for leaving a message!